Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Introducing First...

 I've had plenty of loves in my life, but two of the longest have been a love of writing and a love of professional wrestling.

I'd be lying if I said I never wanted to be a wrestler as a kid, but that was never gonna happen.  The closest I ever came to following that path were the years I spent playing in e-feds.  Though ironically enough, that e-fedding experience would ultimately afford me the opportunity to slip behind the curtain and into the world of real life pro wrestling backstage.  That experience re-kindled in me a love for the art of wrestling that was on par with my love for the sport as a kid.  (Having developed a theatre background in the intervening years I'm sure helped matters there.)

Now, I've certainly never been a part of the "all modern wrestling is CRAP!" camp, but... maybe it was the wrestling I grew up on, or maybe it was my first live show being a southern style "wrasslin" show, but I've always been of the belief that, in wrestling, the best of it as an artform emerges when everyone involved from the wrestlers in the ring to the announcers, to the fans in the seats, allow themselves to buy into the illusion that what they are witnessing and that what is transpiring is real.  

Since then, the writer in me has pondered taking that conviction to its logical conclusion: what would a modern wrestling world look like where everything was indeed real?  The action was real, the relationships were real, the conflicts and issues were real?

Which brings us to Mags.

Mags began her existence as a roleplay persona.  But the more time I spent playing her, the more interested I became in exploring her as a person.  And as much as I enjoyed the collaborative process of those scenarios, there's something to be said for a world you shape yourself.  And she seemed a natural choice for a protagonist to dive into this world where kayfabe is king.

Beginning this Friday, I will be releasing chapters of her story every two weeks.  Also on Friday, my Patreon for this project will go live, and backing that will provide early access to each chapter, starting with Chapter Two.  I hope you enjoy the journey enough that you consider backing it there, but even if you don't, I will be very grateful and appreciative to have you along for the ride.

Now... about that Sensitive Content warning.

While your author largely identifies as demi/ace these days, let's be honest here: ALL professional wrestling is prone to erotic and homoerotic undertones.  And in a world where it's still real to us dammit, given the twin fine lines between hate and love and violence and sex... if you come here looking for sexytimes in every single chapter, I can promise you you're going to be disappointed.  My aim here is to tell a story, first and foremost.  But I would be shocked if such undertones did not organically emerge from time to time.   

So consider that warning a precautionary measure as much as anything.

And so, with all that said... let's get to the ring, shall we?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chapter 7: The Second to None City

Chicago, I love you.  Chicago traffic, you can jump off a bridge. We used to come up here a lot when I was younger.  My mom’s family is ...